Originally from Reading, PA, he has considered Harrisburg home for many years, and is related, according to family folklore, to John Harris, founder of Harrisburg. RJ's full name is Richard John Harris; named after Phillies legend Richie Ashburn because his older twin brothers insisted on it.
He has worked in New York City for NBC. Also Chicago, Philadelphia, Nashville, and Sacramento. Married to Bonnie since 1972. Three children: Mike, Eric, and Christi, and five grand-daughters: Lydia, Leah, Lucy, and twins Grace and Hannah.
RJ has been the morning personality on WHP580 since September of 2000. He is an amateur geologist/paleontologist and ham radio operator.
RJ Harris is also an author. He once weighed 400 pounds and now weights 185. RJ has kept his weight off and has inspired many to lose weight. He is available to speak to your group about his life-long battle with obesity. Click the cover to learn more.
-Distinguished Service - Marine Corp League
-Inducted into the Chapel of the Four Chaplains 2003
-Recipient of Legion of Honor Bronze Medallion from the Chapel of Four Chaplains.
-Recipient of Seven Seals Award from the PA National Guard and Reserve
-Commissioned as an “Honorary Supply Corps Officer” in the US Navy
- UNICEF- Humanitarian Citation from Huge Downs for Earthquake relief
- Governor Robert Casey - Citation for fund raising for flood relief
- Named "Harrisburg's Official Humorist" by Mayor Reed
- Named "The Morning Mayor" by Harrisburg Mayor Reed
- NAIFA- National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors "PA Humanitarian of the Year" 2008
- Capital Area SERTOMA Club- Sertoman of the Year 2008
- Special Olympics PA "State Personality of the Year 1999 and 2009"
-Named PA’s “Morning Governor” by former Governor Tom Corbett
RJ speaks or emcees in excess of 100 events per year and donates any honorarium received to his favorite charity, "Area M Special Olympics" , raising thousands of dollars to date.